Sunday 8 February 2015

Royal & Wonderful - Day Five

'A gift from New Zealand' in the foreground
Sunlight streaming across Buck House

Tuesday morning I set off for Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guard. There were waay more people then than I had expected, I don't know, for some reason I thought there wouldn't be many people there at all. The procession into the front courtyard of the Palace consisted of guards on foot (with those iconic fluffy hats) playing brass music, as well as Royal Horse Guards with funny fountain hats and red coats, some marching, some on horseback.






Once inside the palace gates there was some saluting etc. to be done then the marching band played some songs - some classic, some quite modern, but all British. The music was so well played and beautiful, that it didn't matter that I couldn't see them. Being able to enjoy a free mini-concert was enough. After some time they began the procession back out of the Palace gates, in much the same way they entered. Marching in time, right hand swinging and the left resting a gun over their shoulders, it was a unique and delightful tradition to witness.






Once the whole process was over, most people left pretty quickly which gave me some space to explore the monument-fountain-thing in the middle of the roundabout in front of the Palace, and the large neighbouring park. The walk up the Mall took me past the Royal Horse Guards, and after a quick look in here and saying hello to some pelicans along the Mall I made my way to Westminster Abbey.






Changing the Guard at the Royal Horse Guards

The Royal Horse Guards with the London Eye in the background
After seeing it at night, the Abbey looked comparatively more inviting & beautiful in the daylight. I took an audio tour which was long but interesting to navigate around the expansive church. My favourite part was the Lady Chapel, an add-on created by King Henry VII, with it's exquisite intricate ceiling that looks like lace. I also loved Poet's Corner (which, by the way, is much more than just a 'corner') because it was just nice to see some names I actually recognised, like William Shakespeare and C.S. Lewis. The Abbey was such a grand place in general. Its high vaulted ceilings, hourly prayers and absence of talk, cellphones and cameras made it seem like a peaceful refuge in this bustling city.


Statue of Abraham Lincoln outside the Abbey


Love,
Addie xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment