Sunday 18 January 2015

London is Calling Me - Day One

On the Thames
After spending a night just outside London with relatives, I caught the train to Waterloo where I met my second cousin to stay with her and her partner for a little while. That first day, after dropping my bag at her flat, we walked along the Thames, past the Tower of London, and through the streets to St Paul's Cathedral.


the old telephone box - you've just got to, haven't you...
The Tower of London from the outside

Tower Bridge

"The Thumb"



 Unbeknownst to us, we arrived just in time for Evening Song - basically a chapel service entered around hymns and choral music. The main service was under the central dome, but since we sat near the back (for an easy early getaway) and general sightseeing was discouraged at that time, I wasn't able to see it, nor the rest of the church further down. Despite this, the cathedral I felt had an atmosphere of peace and wonder about it - but at the same time, the size and ornate nature of the architecture, both inside and out, gave an aura of grandeur.




A poem on a wall of the Tate Modern

After a bit more walking around and a little snack, we made our way to the Tate Modern art gallery. It is housed in what used to be a power station, so the main area we first went into, the turbine hall was impressive in its vastness. As the name suggests, the gallery houses modern works, I'm guessing from the 20th and 21st Centuries. Standout works for me were these series of drawing depicting crazy architectural feats - 'where dreamland and architecture combine', or something like that.





With sculpture being one of my favourite forms of art, this gallery had me inspired.

The centre of a tree trunk carved out - like how I eat carrots...
A copper sulphated engine


Hay's Galleria
On the way home we walked through Hay's Galleria that used to be a port for ships, and crossed the Tower Bridge. With all it's lights on & the traffic whooshing by, the air was buzzing.





No comments:

Post a Comment